Saturday 19 May 2012

Day/Post 15 Slim pickings for May


Nearly  into the last week of May and we have not even had one day of warm sunshine! So disappointing and incredibly frustrating. Looking through my photographs from the past week you might be led to believe that the weather has not been too bad and you would be right in some respects...there has been plenty of blue in the sky, and at times bright sunlight. What you can't get a sense of from these images is the temperatures...cold, cold and colder. We have even had early morning frosts again, something I thought we'ed left behind last month. 

Wild garlic at the back of our house

The apple blossom is looking very healthy despite all the rain

Needless to say I haven't been getting out and about at all. No rock climbing, no proper hill walking and definitely no drawing on location. I have been doing a bit of looking though and on the  drives to work each day the oil seed rape filled fields have been peaking my interest.
In principle I can't say I'm fond of this increasingly common crop. The sickly sweet aroma can be a real nuisance when you're out of puff on a steep cycle climb. Fellow hay fever sufferers will know what I mean! However there is something visually pleasing about this crop, when it's hard to place yellow hue is set against an overcast sky. Grey and yellow are a curious mix.




Water in the tractor tracks gives an indication of the ridiculous amount of rainfall lately!

Sweetie colours

Mid week rainbow 

...preceded by a really lovely sun shower


sun shower magic

Meanwhile back in the studio I have been getting on with long held plans for some collage work which pick up from where I left off with the Sheep Circle project.
I think I'm getting closer to how I would like to make screen prints. The painterly areas (which I see as the weather bits) are something I just didn't have the ability to work out during my all too short spell at Edinburgh Printmakers last year. Later....

Collage & Oil on canvas




Lastly there's a good deal of chat about a spell of better weather hitting our shores next week. Well here's hoping!!

1 comment:

  1. Your weather diary obviously makes you more aware of how light and colours behave in different conditions.Do you think this has influenced your painting in any way.
    I think your collages look really interesting and looking forward to seeing how they develop.

    ReplyDelete