Sunday 1 July 2012

Post 20 Inscapes

 You can't fail to notice the past few weeks in terms of the weather...I know we as a nation regard it as our favourite conversation starter but this is getting ridiculous! I have given up chipping in at the check out, the post office, the dentist, the chemist ...enough!!
It's a rum situation for those who have been flooded, some incredible images here. I am just thankful we live in a slightly elevated position and that here in the Borders we have mercifully missed the worst of the downpours so far.

In the studio I've  been busy, new paintings are here. It's a veritable rain fest!! Joking aside it has been difficult to get going..inspiration has been tinged with frustration. The usual no go situation with regards to getting some solid time outdoors. Any days we have had time has not been on my side with regard to research.....climbing has taken precedence and I'm not complaining on this score.

Inspiration comes in many guises and when you least expect it something  pops up and gets the  heart racing again and you feel it's all worthwhile. An artist who's work I have admired for a while now is Minnie Fry.



Windscape Etching 21.5x30.5cm

Moody Skies  Etching 23x3cm

Storm Clouds  Etching 19.5x29.5cm
Her beautiful etchings restore my faith in abstraction. In her short bio on  Eye Storm a reference is made to' inscapes'....

"Her semi-abstract landscapes are the very definition of what the poet Gerard Manley Hopkins referred to as ‘inscapes’; emotional responses that, although derived from external reality, steer clear of the direct depiction of the traditional landscape."


I really can identify with this notion of inscapes, it releases a multitude of emotions and  possibilities with the  promise of more things to come. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Siobhan Just catching up on blogs and love these etchings and I can see why you admire her - must look up more from Minnie Fry. What a wonderful name.

    ReplyDelete