Saturday 16 June 2012

Day / Post 18 Cool and Loose for June

Nearly two thirds the way through my 30 day blog and it 's nearly half way through June! Having started this blog way back in March I thought it was a good time to reflect on the things that have popped up along the way. Below is the photograph taken at Back Bowden Doors in March, interesting to compare it with the next one taken this Thursday. Strange to think the temperature this week was 5 degrees lower than back in March!
Back Bowden in March

The sun is higher now casting deeper shadows

Along the way I started a number of paintings some more weather related than others. Below are image details and the final painting of the one I started back in April and blogged about on day 7.



Oil & Wax on canvas 100x100cm


Since then I 've been on a quest to loosen up and return to an earlier and personally more interesting way of working. This is something I genuinely feel has come about partially due to this weather blog. For a time I feel I  had been slipping back into representation. Nothing wrong with this, if you want to a paint an image of a  tree that resembles a tree then why not? But for me the interesting parts of the world around me often are the ones that are like the mists and light, the ethereal non concrete elements that are continually shifting and changing. I'll always endeavour to paint in both ways but for now I'm set on a course towards a more abstracted less representational form of expression.

Oil and Wax on canvas (work in progress)
The cotton flowers around Bowden are in  full bloom

Looking up

Working it out

It's a steep learning curve and  at times I have slipped off and continue to,undulating along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment