Thursday 7 June 2012

Day/Post 17 Coloured greys



 Into June and no surprises as far as our lovely British or more specifically Scottish weather is concerned. Rain, grey skys and wind!
 We did have a really good day out along the Aonach Eagach ridge last Saturday and that put me in good form for the rest of the week. On the drive up  to Glencoe the weather didn't look too promising,it was grey and really quite cold but around about mid day it cleared leaving blue skys, puffy white clouds and bright sunshine to enjoy. Immense views in every direction you care to look. The snaking ridge has been inveigling my inner eye ever since. More of this later.




Looking back along part of the Aonach Eagach ridge
Bidean nam Bian


Mountaineer in the making!!



All this getting out and about has been a real tonic and the remaining  residue of memory is proving fairly productive in the studio so far. Not really a residue more like an over flowing vat!! (That's the optimist in me.)
In my last post I was bemoaning the fact that I find it difficult to respond in paint to these mountain landscapes. Well today I feel I've had a small but potentially promising break through. 
I started the day not entirely sure what or how I was going to proceed. The grey skys were a starting point in the morning....they got me thinking about  colour and grey, coloured greys in particular.



10am 7/6/2012


Colour mixing was the order of the day. Over the years I have been experimenting with colour mixing using a fairly traditional approach which stretches back to Impressionism and beyond. Increasingly though I have been introducing other colours which come ready mixed...turquoise and azure blue for example. It was interesting then to come across the real colour wheel...I'll be ordering some transparent yellow and magenta  tomorrow. In the meantime todays mixing looked like this...






More greens and browns than greys




Grey greens




Warm browns ..a result of the traditional colour wheel




More like the grey I was aiming for




Work in progress  100x100cm  Oil & Wax on canvas


Work in progress 20x20cm
Sgurr an Fheadain sneaking in there



Work in progress  20x20cm
Here's that memory residue /vat stuff again



More musings on art and the weather to come, in the meantime lets hope June brings a bit more in the way of  sunshine and warmth.




No comments:

Post a Comment