Tuesday 3 April 2012

Day 5 Snow more 3/April/2012

Yesterday the weather turned nasty, cold and wet.....

Forth road bridge 2/April
 Today of course the snow was the hot topic of conversation....Needless to say the studio was the only place to be.
3/April   Home
Trees through the studio window

 20x20cm
 In between working on the big Ruberslaw  painting I made a  couple of small bad weather inspired paintings!

Back Window Blues
Snow shower 20x20cm
 The weather diary is certainly making me think about how the weather and my work interface. There is, it turns out a good deal more to this than I first imagined.
I often wondered why some people liked certain paintings more than others...these ones below have often exerted many positive comments..someone once said I was a very blue painter!!

Obviously blue is an attractive and easy colour. Cezanne again is proving to be a useful reference ....I read somewhere that he spoke of the particular ability blue has to give breath and height to space. 

He said blue could make the air tangible.

This' tangible air' is light, the kind of light Cezanne worked and lived in. Closer to home Sir William Gillies certainly made the air tangible too.

And in total contrast to this April holiday,the kind of light we enjoyed last April on the Isle of Skye. Keep dreaming.

   
My  Back to Bowden 100x100cm
Sir William Gillies Hills near Morar c1931


Blue Run 100x100cm
On the way up Sgurr nan Gillean April 2011
Looking towards Bla Bheinn
Paul Cezanne   Mont Sainte Victoire

No comments:

Post a Comment