Friday 13 April 2012

Day 9 In between the showers....

On Wednesday we spent a couple of sunshine filled hours in the beautiful Botanical gardens in Edinburgh. In between chatting, catching up and supervising hide and seek  I managed to take a few photos. 
Again for me the striking thing was the light. I am certainly drawn to the way in which it illuminates the shape and form of the trees. The foliage too takes on something more visibly manageable, simply through the way light falls...
Beautiful tree from Argentina,(I can't remember its proper name!) already its leaves are out..

Couldn't help noticing this ! Wrapped like a Christo for the moonwalk

Blossom in abundance


Blue blissful sky
Didn't manage to get the whole tree in the frame, but you get the idea




 I think I'm getting over my green phobia. Colour mixing is really important here. I 'm experimenting with a fairly limited palette...cadmium yellow and three or maybe four  blues. Complementary colour mixing also comes into its own when dealing with the difficulties inherent in green, especially with bright light experienced on a relatively sunny day. 
Light breezes move the foliage and this combined with sunlight seems to alter the green and I imagine I see a myriad of different green hues. 
A huge challenge and something I 'll be working on for a long time to come.
Details (here and below) of large tree painting, work in progress




Along the Amstel    Piet Mondrian 1903

 Like many people I am familiar with Mondrian's later abstract works, but looking back his more traditional representational landscape paintings are a revelation, utterly stunning.
 Pollard Willows on the Gein Piet Mondrian 1902-04

The Cabbage Field  Pissarro 1873  60x80cm Oil


Apple Trees  Claude Monet  1878
Paul Cezanne The Great Pine 1892-96
Cezanne manages to capture perfectly the wind in the branches of the great pine.

No comments:

Post a Comment