Saturday 7 April 2012

Day 7 Green days

Yesterday woke up to overcast skies. Its the kind of light that seems to flatten out the landscape and on first impressions things visually seem quite uninspiring...

Damson blossom
Wet ground again a bit of a novelty
It's useful to have a number of paintings on the go at once....dying times, and general working methods make this  a good way to work. I started a couple of big tree themed paintings a while a go now and yesterday seemed like a good day to get back to them. We went for a rainy  walk in the afternoon, another chance to focus on my subject matter.
Rained soaked bark
Despite the overcast conditions there was still a good level of colour and texture to see. The light seemed to draw out certain subtleties in both. As the foliage growth increases the landscape in general is becoming greener.....a slight problem for me personally!! I don't dislike the colour green as such but I find what it does to the landscape difficult to deal with visually.
It's always useful to look for clues and find answers to your own quandaries by looking at other artists work.
 At a talk  in Edinburgh a couple of years ago by the artist Barbara Rae I asked her why she apparently didn't like the colour green. She dismissed this notion replying that it was not that she didn't like green but that she preferred the landscape in winter and spring because at these times of the year more structure and form can be seen. Leaves and foliage just add unnecessary clutter! (my words not hers)

It's interesting then to look at an artist like Hockney who embraces both the naked and clothed tree. For myself in my own small quest I wouldn't mind finding a middle ground. So it was to my advantage yesterday that the weather was so overcast and that the spring growth is just beginning.....

Pinel Heugh in the mist
Photos for reference

Beautiful beech

....because at this current stage the trees and their structure seem thrown into relief against the subtle backdrop of new growth. From the point of view of my paintings I think this will make things more interesting....somewhere between representation and abstraction.
Ruberslaw in the mist


Amazingly zingy green moss!

Large tree (detail) painting work in progress
Work in progress


Large tree painting (detail) bees wax and oil

Barbara Rae   Tomatoe Vines

David Hockney  Woldgate Woods
Not that obvious at first but the tree structure & shapes stand out against the  colours of the new leaf growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment